My name is Caitlyn. I am 10 years old. I have Asperger's, (Autism) OCD, ADHD, and generalized anxiety disorder.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Meeting with the new LSSP and Diagnostician

Not complete, but what I did today/found out at my meeting with the new LSSP and diagnostician.

LSSP - I LIKE her. She was intrigued with the use of the iPad and specific apps for special ed students (we spent a good 15 min comparing apps on our iphones); she had no issues at all going through the "autism supplement" for which things we felt DD1 needs in her accomodations; likewise she went through her BIP with me too to make it less of the piece of confusing crap that it was and make it into something far more constructive and intervening instead of "punishment after the fact". She also has been doing anything and everything she can to get dd1 into the FOCUS group even without the AU label (since it may take some time to come to agreement on that, but dd1 needs the group NOW).

Diagnostician - had specific concerns with the BIP also and contributed a lot of thought to that, specifically lowering the degree of mastery for dd1 at this time (previously it was 4 out of 5 probes or 80%, we all felt 60% would be better WITH the newly clarified stuff). Is going to look into a diversity class or something that can be presented to dd1's homeroom so the kids will not be as apt to tease her about her assistive tech. She also recommended that perhaps the OT could bring some extra bean bags that other children could compete/work something out with the teacher to make them seem like desirable things to the other kids. Also went through and took everything from the ARD minutes and is typing them into the little "accomodations" boxes to make sure her teachers have that information at hand.

Now, I hope I don't get her in trouble, and I expressed my fear of that - but I signed consent for them to contact the family counselor we used through the Spec Ed center last year. I related how shocked she had been that dd1 was there as an ED student and not AU, and that she might have personal observations or notes that could shed more light on things. Also, that she had coached us through some things that worked/didn't work that might be able to be passed on directly to dd1's teachers (specific de-escalation techniques, use of empathy as encouragement, breaking things into tiny chunks, etc).

This is one of the first times I've really felt the school personnel were listening to me. Unfortunately, the LSSP we dealt with last year still oversees the "Autism Team" at the school, so I will still have to deal with her through all this. Those are the meetings I will bring the advocate with or pay out of pocket for the child psychologist to attend with me.

We discussed the possibility of an aide, but they both said they didn't feel it was LRE to jump right to an aide (least restrictive environment) but pulled up her current accomodations and verified that she hasn't been receiving inclusion support, which *is* the next step. A special ed teacher would come into her classroom for her most difficult classes/meltdown apt times and be available for 1-on-1 support including bathroom/hygeine needs and lunch if necessary. I'm cool with that being the next step, if it doesn't help by next semester I can renew my request for an aide.

We also, for the first time, talked about futures planning (in this case, "what happens next year when she moves to middle school"). The ARD committee (and myself) will determine where her needs are at the end of the school year, and THEY will research which of the neighboring middle schools have the best support, available staffing, or other things (like "Circle of Friends" social skills groups etc). Then I will have the option of transferring her out of our zoned school, or even out of the district if we choose to have her in the best school to meet her needs. (YES!!!!!!!!!!! CAN I JUST SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment