My name is Caitlyn. I am 10 years old. I have Asperger's, (Autism) OCD, ADHD, and generalized anxiety disorder.

Friday, January 7, 2011

First week back at school

I really don't understand what the school is expecting of Caitlyn, or of me. I feel like even though she may have the correct "label", no one there still understands that she is a child with autism who presents particular difficulty with things they take for granted with NT kids.

After three years of evaluations where they minimized her trouble with transitions, I received an email griping at me about the difficulty she has coming back to school after a break. Yes, people, this is what I have been telling you. She might be able to handle minor transitions relatively easily - going from a reading assignment to group work - but larger transitions for her are very hard when they involve her *entire routine*.

I'm also very upset - and angry - that they continue to use language like her being "belligerent" or not doing something "because she doesn't want to."

Very rarely is that ever the reason behind her reaction of shutting down. Even this morning, which resulted in a horrible meltdown making her late for school again (wow, I'm sure truancy court will be fun) it wasn't due to her not wanting to go to school. There was a paper I'd forgotten to sign, and she escalated super quickly into gibberish that I couldn't understand. The reason? MeanTeacher keeps threatening her with the loss of recess if she doesn't bring things back. She completely shut down out of terror for losing reccess - for something that was not HER fault! I forgot to sign the paper, that is on me! She should not be punished for that.

In a very bad mood this morning. I keep hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it's escaping me right now.

On the one hand I cannot wait for her to be done with the staff at this elementary school in a few months; on the other hand I'm worried about her transition to middle school and the same or different problems we may encounter there.

I wish for a money tree to send her to a school that can really help her succeed, but everything I've found only offers partial scholarships that would still not let us afford the adjusted tuition.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that your daughter has a mean teacher. So very wrong for a child on the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete